Book Promo Banner
recycling a messed up project

recycling a messed up project

Home Page Forums Ask A Question recycling a messed up project

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 6 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I recently tried to make a skirt for my mom. I made it way to small and when trying to fix the error, I really messed up the waist. I’m relatively new at sewing and clearly learning from trial by error (ha ha). However, the fabric from the hip area down is salvageable. I was really proud of a decorative diagonal seam that I had put in and would really like to try to use the rest of the fabric for some other project. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to turn this in to something else nice for my mom?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

what kind of fabric is it? Is it big enough that you can make a cute purse or tote bag from it? At least with a tote bag, you can probably keep the diagonal seam detail 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

It is black sweatshirt material. I was going for a warm winter skirt when I designed it. The tote back is definitely doable. I have successfully made several of those. The only other think I was thinking to do with is was create a poncho type top but I really don’t know how to go about creating that. Any suggestions? Thank you so much for responding!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

You can definitely make a little tank top, taking the salvaged part of the skirt and adding little spaghetti straps. If the top part and bottom part are too big, you can create an elastic casing on top and bottom to make it fit. Let me know what you create.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.